Malaysia is a predominantly Muslim country that borders the South China Sea, Indonesia, and Thailand. Known for its tropical weather, rainforests and beaches, Malaysia is a mix of European, Indian, Chinese cultures. Naturally, the nation is home to millions of sports enthusiasts who love betting as some of the best betting sites in Malaysia.
With Malaysians annually wagering over 4 billion MYR online, knowing which sites are most popular is imperative. Subsequently, our top betting sites in Malaysia guide includes a list of the best 5 bookmakers by country for players residing in Malaysia. Along with our list of bookies, there is other information we have included, so be sure to read each section within our guide.
Rank List of the Best 5 Bookmakers in Malaysia
The following table details the top betting sites in Malaysia for 2022.
Best Bookies in Malaysia Ranked
- 888sport – Silentbet’s Number 1 bookie for Malaysia
- Parimatch – Best sportsbook with competitive odds
- 1xbet – Top mobile products for punting
- Rabona – Best casino in Malaysia
- Melbet – Most varied offers and specials
Malaysia’s TOP 5 Betting Sites Reviewed
As a Southeast Asian country, Malaysian’s face a variety of hurdles when looking for a trusted online bookmaker. As such, we have put together a list of the best 5 bookmakers in Malaysia. Each of the bookies in our list are no agent bookmakers, and therefore licensed and trustable.
A top-ranked brand since 2008, 888sport is one of our best bookmakers in Malaysia. Known throughout the industry for their sportsbook, 888sport offers a substantial number of choices for betting on sports. Along with pre-match and in-play fixtures, the bookie includes league betting, excellent odds and multiple features. As part of the list of features, 888sport delivers, live streaming is their most valuable, the blog and Betfeed are others.
In addition to sports betting, punters can avail virtual sports, esports and a live casino. The live casino is packed with live dealer games and is joined by an equally appointed online casino. Both other casino games from top-notch game providers and include the option for online poker.
- Features over 25 sports markets.
- Excellent betting odds
- Casino, esports and virtual sports
- Access to 888sport blog
- Does not offer Malay language options
Our #2 pick has a long history of meeting the needs of punters throughout Malaysia and the United Kingdom. Founds in 1994, Parimatch has used its 27 years of experience to ensure bettors receive the best of the best in sports betting. As a betting platform, Parimatch delivers over 20 sports types and features both live and pre-match betting. Furthering the options they offer, bettors can access upcoming match schedules, the latest odds, and a host of other platforms.
The other platforms are where Parimatch meets its Malay customers’ needs head on. They include options such as greyhounds, horse racing, virtuals, casino and live casino entertainment. Furthermore, the bookie offers options for esports, TV games and instant win games.
- Coverage for 20 sports markets
- Superior odds for in-play football and baseball
- Large variety of sports and casino promotions
- Somewhat outdated site
When it comes to sports betting and a reliable, user-friendly interface, 1xbet ranks among the best in the online bookies in Malaysia. Since opening in 2007, 1xBet has seen its position with punters result in substantial growth. Now a global betting partner, the bookie features coverage for over 34 markets and includes live betting and live streaming.
Moreover, the bookie has some of the best odds in the industry and includes esports, toto, and virtual betting choices. If the sports platform is not enough, 1cBet comes equipped with an abundance of other gaming options. Most notably, this includes an impressive online casino, live casino, online poker, lottery, and bingo. All deliver the quality punters expect and a long list of promotions.
- Excellent interface and sports betting options
- Multiple choice for mobile betting
- Over 70 languages and crypto-friendly
- Website can be overwhelming
Here is one of the younger bookies that joins our list of the best betting sites in Malaysia. Opened in 2019, Rabona has experienced substantial growth and continues to defy the odds. A big part of their success comes from the 26 sports they cover. Another contribution to their success is the variety of top leagues, competitive odds, and live betting fixtures. However, while these exceeded our expectations, the addition of virtual sports, horse racing and esports, the bookies player-friendly layout topped our list.
Moreover, Rabona adds to its overall value as a Malay preferred bookie by their introducing an online and live casino. While almost an expectation today, the populating of both ensures punters countless options. In addition, the bookie features tournaments, live streaming and the ability to choose between 15 languages.
- Excellent interface and player-friendly design
- Coverage for over 30 sports
- Online casino with more than 4,500 games
- Lacks statistics and betting advice
This site has been a Malaysian-friendly bookmaker since 2012 when it opened and began offering a wide range of sports betting services. Committed to excellence, the list of features at Melbet is outstanding, with pre-match and live fixtures among the choice they offer. Moreover, the bookie is apt for delivering generous odds, hundreds of live streams and post-match results.
As a top bookmakers in Malaysia, Melbet strengthens its competitiveness through its alternative betting platforms. These are focused towards an online casino, and live casino, plus others such as esports, TV Games, and virtual games. The bookie also ensures mobility access via a well-constructed mobile site and the addition of iOS and Android apps.
- Options for live betting and streaming
- Large variety of casino, esports and virtual sports
- Android and iOS friendly
- Betting resources unavailable
How We Rank the Top Malaysian Betting Sites
The steps we take to rank the top Malaysian betting sites is extensive and based on areas we know make the difference. The process we take is carefully choreographed, and therefore, it is important to explain those steps below. By reviewing these, you can have confidence in our list of the best Malaysian bookmakers.
- Markets – The greater the market coverage, the better opportunities a bookie is able to offer to Malaysian punters. We verify the markets available for live and pre-match betting.
- Live Betting – Live betting is a minimum for any bookie to be ranked as a “best Malaysian bookmaker”. You can be confident every bookie we include in our list offers live betting.
- Competitive Odds – The more competitive the odds a bookie posts, the better the potential for profits. The bookies in our list all offer competitive odds.
- Live Streaming – Live streaming increases the entertainment value and is a great tool for collecting valuable information. Most bookies in our list include live streaming as an option.
- Bonuses and Promotions – Bonuses make the difference. Therefore we verify the bonuses available and determine whether they add value. All our recommended bookies offer value-added bonuses.
Malaysia Gambling Industry – the Basics
Since gaining independence in the 1950s, Malaysia has become a more financially secure Southeast Asia nation. However, the Malaysian gambling industry has to advance at the same levels, mostly due to a third of its population being Muslim. Essentially, its laws have made gambling illegal for the most part, albeit there are a few exceptions.
The Betting Act of 1953 strictly forbids any type of “common betting house”. In order words, sports betting and casino gambling or anyone found to be operating one faces stiff penalties. The only exception to this is the Genting Highlands Resort and the legalization of state lotteries and horse racing.
As for online gaming in Malaysia, nothing under the law specifically refers to internet betting. As online betting remains unregulated, it essentially is a green light for Malaysia’s to gamble online without fear of persecution. That said, the Malaysian government does block some sites and instructs financial institutions not to process gambling transactions.
- Currency: Malaysian Ringgit
- Population: 32.37 million
- Active Players: Unknown
- Designated Authority: Unit Kawalan Perjudian
- Regulated Gambling Products: Lotteries, slots, table games, horse racing
- Types of Operators: Land-based casinos, offshore operators
Did you know that?
- Football and Badminton are the two most popular sports for betting in Malaysia.
- As a predominantly Muslim nation, Malaysia has no taxation laws relating to gambling,
- The biggest threat to the Malaysian underground gambling industry is “No Agent” Casinos.
First Steps to Wagering in Malaysia
When wishing to wager with one of our best sites for betting in Malaysia, there are some steps that first need to be completed. Here is a breakdown of what is required:
- Pick a bookmaker from our list of top 5 leading bookmakers in Malaysia.
- Open an account and complete the steps for verification.
- Visit the cashier and make a deposit into your account.
- Navigate to the sportsbook and select your desired sporting event.
- Compare the odds and choose a betting market.
- Enter your stake.
- Submit your betslip.
Online Betting in Malaysia
Whenever online betting in Malaysia, there are things to consider before getting excited and jumping ahead of yourself. As online betting in Malaysia is unregulated, questions about the legality of online betting in Malaysia.
Are Malaysian bookies legit?
All offshore bookies operating in Malaysia are regulated, and therefore they are deemed legitimate business. While they are not licensed in Malaysia, they are licensed in other jurisdictions and adhere to strict policies and laws governing their gambling services.
Do bookmakers restrict players from Malaysia?
Some bookmakers will restrict players from Malaysia depending on the status of their gambling license. As gambling licenses differ from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, this may apply to Malaysians being able to register with a bookie or simply being unable to access certain games.
Are winnings taxed?
As the act of gambling in Malaysia is illegal, there are no provisions that refer to the taxation of gambling winnings. Therefore, Malaysians who win online will not be required to pay any taxes on their winnings.
Bonuses, Free Bets & Specials
In a country where its population has limited options for casino and sports betting, bonuses, free bets, and specials rank high. As such, bookmakers and casino operators offer a variety of different bonuses for Malaysian bettors. These vary depending on the product, such as free bets for bookmakers and deposit bonuses. Likewise, casino operators offer a similar range of bonuses, from free spins to deposit bonuses.
Here is a list of bookie and casino bonuses available to Malaysians:
- Free bets
- Acca boosts
- No deposit bonuses
- Free spins
- Reload offers
Top Sports to Punt On
Malaysia is like many other Southeast nations that enjoy a diverse range of sporting interests when it comes to punting. The most predominant sports based on their ranking of popularity include football, badminton and golf.
- Football – Football has always ranked high for live betting with Malaysian bettors for a variety of reasons. One, it is the most popular sport to be played in Malaysia, and second, it is closely tied into their social structure and extra-circular sports programs.
- Badminton – As a popular Southeast sport for live streaming, Badminton is played on a national level, and this is a major reason it is favoured for punting. Even moreso, its national team is ranked seventh in the world and is a five-time winner of the Thomas Cup.
- Golf – As a nation with over 200 golf courses, golf ranks high on the list of sports Malaysians enjoy punting on. Another reason for its popularity is the country being home to several PGA Championship events.
Casino Sites in Malaysia
In a country where Malaysians have only one option for land-based casino betting, casino sites play an important role for Malaysians. Resultantly, online casino sites are among the most popular for gaming enthusiasts for slots, table games and other games of chance. This has seen the number of casino sites accessible to Malaysians online increase exponentially, as have their gaming options.
In addition to the inclusion of table and slot games, Malaysians can anticipate having the option for video poker and instant win games. Other game variants include scratchcards, lottery themed games and bingo.
What Popular Payment Options Are There?
Malaysian bettors have many payment options they choose from when punting with an online casino or sportsbook. The most common payment options will include credit and debit cards, as well as ewallets and bank transfers. However, most recently, the favoured option for Malaysian bettors is cryptocurrencies.
As for currency rates and the ability to transact using the Malaysian Ringgit, many operators accept the Ringgit. This applies to adding funds and withdrawing funds, and many include the Ringgit within their accepted currencies for promotions.
Mobile betting is a major draw for Malaysians who favour punting online. As mobile betting plays an integral part in bettors’ lives, Malaysian bookies and casinos offer a number of secure mobile betting options. The most common the two punters can avail is a mobile website variant of their platform, and the other is mobile apps.
For bettors, option for the mobile website variant, they have the convenience of opening a mobile browser and logging into their account. While this requires the added step of manually logging in, it does provide some privacy features. The mobile apps, they are required to be downloaded and installed but function flawlessly.
Both mobile options are good for Malaysians, as they include an identical range of features and functionality. However, as the laws relating to online gambling are undefined in Malaysia, the mobile site variant is the better of the two options.
Best Bookie in Malaysia Picked by Silentbet
The best bookie in Malaysia picked by Silentbet is 888sport. As a leading bookie in Southeast Asia, 888sport offers a reliable platform for sports and casino bettors. With over a decade behind them and a platform that features more than 25 sport types, their status as a leading bookie is increased by their other platforms. In this respect, the bookie is able to compete at a global level and with an abundance of promotions, bettors receive a superior experience.
Moreover, our experts at Silentbet chose 888sport as our best bookie in Malaysia because of the large variety of payment methods. As a Southeast operator, 888sport complements this with fast payments, mobile compatibility and an online poker platform.
- Great bonuses in place
- Mobile app available
- Long odds and range of markets
The environment in Malaysia may not be as friendly as some bettors would like to see, but there is more to it than at first glance. As a result of the country taking no action towards online gambling, they have given Malaysians an open door to punt on sports or casino games. The good news is that the lack of action has also resulted in no taxation on winnings, making the environment more favourable.
Therefore, Malaysians are welcome to choose from our top 5 bookmakers list and punt on a large number of sports. Moreover, they have the option to avail bonuses, punt in the casino, view live streams, and so much more.
Are Malaysian bookmakers safe?
Yes, online Malaysian bookmakers are regulated and therefore meet the stipulations for being safe.
Is it legal to punt with an offshore bookmaker?
Yes, nothing in Malaysian law states betting with an offshore bookie is illegal.
How must I be to register with an offshore bookmaker in Malaysia?
You will need to be at least eighteen to register with an offshore bookmaker in Malaysia legally.
Do online casinos accept the Malaysian Ringgit?
Yes, many online casinos accept the Malaysian Ringgit.
Are the best betting sites in Malaysia licensed?
Yes, all of the best betting sites in Malaysia we promote at Silentbet are licensed.