If you want to bet in legit betting sites only, then our list with licensed bookmakers is perfect for you. See which bookies have obtained a valid license to operate in different jurisdictions and what the regulatory commission that audits them is.
Show More (112)
Which countries issue the licenses for the bookmakers?
A law-abiding online bookmaker that wants to operate legally in a number of countries requires a license. Such types of validation documents are not a must in each and every country around the world. Only a few have gambling laws that are in place for the protection of the citizens. Such is the case in Great Britain. It is hardly surprising that the UK gambling industry is one of the biggest in the world. Therefore, a license issued there says a lot. However, other countries also provide authorities that also deal with regulating online betting and iGaming. Here are a few examples.
- The UK Gambling Commission – UKGC
- The Malta Gaming Authority – MGA
- The Gibraltar Gambling Commission – GGC
- The Curaçao e-Gaming Authority – Curacao eGaming
- Dirección General de Ordenación del Juego – DGOJ
- Belgium Gaming Commission – Kansspelcommissie
- AgenziadelleDogane e deiMonopoli – ADM
- Israeli Sports Betting Board – ISBB
- Autorité de Regulation des JeuxenLigne – ARJEL
- Canadian Federal Government & State Legislature – GPEB
- Oficiul National pentruJocuri de Noroc – ONJN
Isle of Man
- Isle of Man Gambling Supervision Commission – GSC
- Denmark Gambling Authority – DGA
- Kansspelautoriteit – KSA
- Federal Tax Commission – Nalog
- Bulgarian State Commission on Gambling – DKH
Why do some bookmakers ban access for residents of a certain country?
It is often the case that a betting site will not allow registration or even access to its site for certain players who reside in a specific country. This shouldn’t surprise you as the most reliable bookmakers always strive to follow the letter of the law. If they don’t have a license for your jurisdictions, they will make sure their site appears banned for you. Of course, there are exceptions as some well-known brands provide mirror links for alternative access but these are just exceptions that prove the rile.
Actually, not being able to register at a site that isn’t licensed in your country is for your own protection. Make sure to follow the rules and never look for shortcuts to beat the system.
What does a licensed bookmaker guarantee punters?
You may wonder why people are so obsessed with a piece of document, but this one is indeed a big deal. Licensed betting sites and mobile betting apps ensure the protection of the data of its players. This is not all. When a brand is regulated by one or more authorities you can be sure that someone has your back when a bookmaker delays or refuses to cash out your payment or in the case, they block your account for no reason at all.
Is it possible to bet on a site without a license?
Some punters consider this perfectly normal. As long as they are allowed to register, nothing seems to be stopping them. Still, we would advise you not to do any of the following as these may result in dire consequences for both your account and money.
- Avoid using HMA and other proxy servers to access a banned betting site
- Don’t register with a bookmaker that is among the list of forbidden operators in your country
- Make sure to provide only accurate information about your identity, address and age as these are part of the KYC procedures any licensed bookmaker needs to follow.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to find out if a bookmaker is licensed or not?
Bookmark Silentbet.com for up-to-date info on all bookies and their licenses. You can also check the footer of the official betting site for details on the license.
Is there a way to check if a bookie’s license is still valid?
Every license has an issue number. Check the site of the authority organ or the commissioner that has issued the document to ensure its authenticity.
What to do if I am not sure if a license of a betting site extends to my country?
You can always contact the support team and ask for assistance.
Do bookmakers renew their licenses?
Yes, they do and while doing so undergo an extensive evaluation of all their products in the form of an audit.